October 17, 2014

Speak Like a Native

This week has been end of term exams for our students.  I must say, it is brutal!  The kids are exhausted, nervous, and now, sick.

For the past two days, the 7 of us international teachers who are certified in English (although some teach a class called Global Perspectives) evaluated the English speaking abilities of our grade 12 students.  We did one student after another for 2 hours each evening.

So, this is what I have learned:  I never want to hear the words "interesting," "fascinating," "delicious," or "tasty" again.

Many of our students have the dream of attending the very prestigious Nazarbayev University when they graduate.  Others, dream of studying in the UK or the USA.  In order to do this, they need to have scores of 7 (out of 9) and above on the IELTS test -- a test of academic English proficiency in reading, writing, speaking and listening.  Remember, this is our students' third language!

The use of idiomatic expressions and slang is what can push a student from a 6 to a 7 in the speaking portion.  The more they sound natural, the higher their score.  I've been trying to teach my kids some common terms as they arise:  bricks and mortar, suburban sprawl, sell out, so-so . . ..  I overheard a colleague teaching his students "meh."

So, here's where I ask for audience participation:  What terms do you think I should teach my kids?  I am taking all suggestions!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Sue - Check out (there's one) this website it might give you some ideas. http://www.infosquares.com/americanslang/index.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! What a great site. It has some listening exercises using movie trailers. A "fun" -- or not so terrible -- assignment for my kids.

      Delete
  2. Shake it off (see Taylor Swift for a song full of idioms, lol)
    Hit it off
    Draw a blank
    nuts and bolts
    Give an inch take a mile
    six of one half a dozen of another
    hit the books
    piece of cake


    Here's a fun site:
    http://www.universitylanguage.com/blog/30/american-workplace-idioms/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sue:
    A word I hear all the time from the high school and college students I work with is AWESOME! Food, clothes, some people...all awesome! By the way, your blog is awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete