October 14, 2014

Food

The Kazakh diet is very meat centered. They even joke about how much meat they eat.  It amazes me when I see what the women at work eat.  They load up with meat and carbs for breakfast and lunch -- and they are so slim!  They must have the metabolism of rabbits.

I went to the market the other day and stumbled on the place they sell meat.


Take a look at how big the meat counter is.  There were three this size in the building.  Along the windows on all four sides were counters selling chicken, duck, and things I have no idea about.  It was amazing.

While I haven't worked up the nerve -- or vocabulary -- to try buying meat to cook, I have enjoyed many nights out in restaurants.



This is one of our favorites.  It's called The Friendly Bar.  It has a huge outdoor dining area -- like most of the restaurants in Taraz.  The building with the pointed roof is a little private dining area with one table.  You can have a party of about 6-8 people in there.  There are several of these surrounding the outdoor dining room below.


When it gets cool, they move a gas heater/lantern over by your table or bring out blankets.  Really.  It's a beautiful setting with good food.  


This is my favorite dinner there:  lamb and vegetable shashlik. Delicious.

The place we frequent the most is Cafe Mokko.  Styled after a French cafe.  My new favorite dish there is beef medallions with a mushroom sauce.  


Check out the presentation!  Especially the tomato rose.

Each of the above dishes runs about $10.  It is easy to eat very well for very little here.

I never imagined that I would find such beautiful and delicious food in Kazakhstan.  

No comments:

Post a Comment