August 28, 2014

Arriving in Taraz

I arrived in Taraz, my new home, on Saturday, August 23.  We flew in from Astana on the only airline that flies into Taraz: SCAT.  I'll leave that to your imagination.  There is one bumpy runway, and an old soviet pick up gets your luggage and brings it to the door for you to reclaim off the truck.

The principal and one of his vice principal's took us from there to the school. 


Here are some of my colleagues walking up the front walk for the first time.  On the far right is Carla, a math(s) teacher from the Philippines; Stephen, a biology teacher from Uganda; Charlene, a global perspectives teacher from South Africa; and a local teacher who is also married to the vice principal.  I'm sorry that I have not yet remembered her name.


They put out a big spread of food for us, including besbarmak and kumiss.  I will leave those for you to look up!


We toured the school a bit and relaxed waiting to be taken to our apartments (another post) and shopping for supplies.  Here are my new principal, Arsen; and another colleague, Aaron, an English teacher from DeKalb by way of Thailand.


On Sunday, I went into work with Arsen and his #2, Nurgali.  They are young, enthusiastic and very bright.  They have treated me with respect and have made me feel like I can be part of their team.  I will be sharing an office with Nurgali, seen here at his desk on Sunday playing that traditional Kazakh instrument.  He is very good!


This post was so late in coming because I have been waiting for an Internet connection.  I should be good now.  I have a stockpile of things to tell you all!

Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment