August 19, 2014

Arriving in Astana, KZ

After 2 days of travel, I arrived in Astana KZ early Monday morning.  NIS staff met me at the airport, loaded up my luggage and took me to our hotel.  My first impressions of Astana:  The cleanest city I have EVER been in.  On the way to the hotel, we passed a number of street sweepers.  There is not a speck of garbage on the sidewalks or the streets.  The parks are spotless and filled with flower beds of  marigolds, petunias, and other bright colored flowers.  A river runs through the center of town, and in the evening the river walk is crowded with people going to restaurants, enjoying the weather and having a good time.  The city comes alive after dark.

As non-Kazakhs, the international NIS staff stand out in public.  We get a lot of stares, but the people have all been kind and helpful.  When shopping or navigating the bank, the younger people are eager and willing to try to communicate in English.  Apparently, instead of lining up in the bank, you find out which customer arrived most recently before you, let them know you are after them for service, and take a seat somewhere.

All of the new international staff hired to work in the NIS schools across the country are here for orientation.  We have been enjoying getting to know each other.  My new colleagues are a mix of all ages and backgrounds.  Some with vast international experience and some overseas for the first time.  There are Americans, Canadians, South Africans, Australians, Britons -- anyplace that provides native English speakers.  What we all seem to have in common is a love for kids, a belief in the power of education, and a desire to make a difference.

Orientation will take place Thursday and Friday.  Saturday morning I will board a local flight with the rest of my international team and fly out to Taraz.  I am eager to get there, get settled in and begin working with the staff and students.

Here are a few photos from Astana.





3 comments:

  1. Hi Sue: Paul shared your blog address - thanks for letting us take part in your adventure. I am looking forward to following your blog. The pictures look beautiful. My daughter, Jaclyn, is going on Year 3 living in Germany working for Young Life International/Military Community Youth Ministries. She has seen a lot of Europe and seems to be enjoying every minute. I'm sure you will, as well. (I'm sorry I missed the Cousin Festa - the pictures looked like it was great fun!)
    Sincerely, Cousin Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sue! I have attempted to comment on your blog several times and I have been unable to post my comments. Sorry if they suddenly ALL get published for some unknown reason?! I am so happy that you have arrived safely and I agree that the pictures depict a modern and clean city. I am anxious to see pix of your apt. once you get settled! Have a great time getting to know your new friends and co-workers. This is quite an adventure, but I would have to pass on the horse flesh medallions!!
    Looking forward to hearing from you again. Luv Ya Cuz....Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Neighbor, I can't believe you are actually there!!! Keep us posted on the new place and when Terry arrives. Marcia

    ReplyDelete