June 26, 2015

Saying Goodbye for Now

The month of June has been full of summer school, exams and goodbyes.  Today is the last day for the international staff.  Most of us fly out tonight, with the rest following over the next week.

Last Saturday was the first ever graduation at NIS Taraz.  Arsen, the principal, was keenly aware that he was establishing a tradition, and he took great care in orchestrating the event.  I've been to a lot of graduations in my time, but never one that was as joyous as this.

It was a hot night, but a breeze blew through the courtyard and it was a gorgeous evening to be outside.

Led by the administration, the graduates exited the school and circled the courtyard.


Extended families came to see their loved ones graduate.


The graduates patiently listened to their speakers.

I was honored to be asked to address the Class of 2015.  I didn't have a translator, which means my speech really was only for the graduates!

Arsen readed the text of the diploma.

The students came to the front and received their diplomas from Arsen or a representative from AEO/NIS.  This is Zhansaya receiving hers.

Of course, the students immediately checked them out when they returned to their seats.

Baitukov Arsen addressed his first graduating class.

Students sent the NIS insignia off into the sky.  A very touching moment.

The graduating class, the Grade 12 teachers (in white) and the administration.

Hats in the air! 

As my first year in Taraz ends, I can say that I have been blessed with eager, kind, and brilliant students, talented and fun international colleagues, and a school administration that gets better everyday.

Although I am anxious to return home to my family and friends for the summer, I know that next year in Taraz will only be better.

Have a great summer everyone!  See you at home!  Or if not, right here in August.

No comments:

Post a Comment